Objective of the internship
To support the logistics coordination and organizing of two major conferences held at Twin Oaks: the Women's Gathering and the Communities Conference. Both conferences have approximately 250 participants. In addition the intern will participate in the diverse tasks of running the community - including (but not limited to) gardening, woodworking, cooking, child care, weaving hammocks, business management, making tofu, building buildings, conference organizing.
Job/Task Description and Responsibilities
Corresponding with conference attendees, Pre- and On-site Registration, doing PR mailings to the people in our database, setting up workshop schedule with presenters, organizing activities during the conferences, contacting like-minded organizations and communities, preparing food for 200+ attendees, preparing rustic conference site for conference and more! Interns can work on all or some of the above tasks. Work for the conferences will be increased steadily as a fraction of the total work week (45 hours), the rest of the work week will be spent in other community work areas (domestic and/or income producing).
What will the intern learn during the internship?
Logistics coordination for large events, including cooperative decision-making, public relations skills, coordinating activities, managing detailed administrative work, interpersonal skills, large-group food preparation, etc. There is a wide range of other things which an intern might learn (there are over 200 tasks scheduled weekly in the community) from bee keeping to software development, from cheese making to retail sales and lots in between.
- self-motivated and self-starting
- willingness to work cooperatively
- good communicator
- good-natured flexibility
- creative thinking
- problem-solving skills
- calm under pressure
- computer/social networking/media
- practical hands-on skills(can handle a hammer, drill, etc., experience in kitchens or art/design)
- project management skills
- experienced in organizing events
- interest in radical politics—feminism, alternative culture, community living
- comfortable in a rustic outdoor setting
- comfortable working with people of diverse ages, races, and sexualities
- for Women’s Gathering interns—comfortable in a diverse women’s/feminist culture
For application instructions, go here.